Skip to main content

A Tank Overflowing

"There are far, far better things ahead than we ever leave behind." - C.S. Lewis

While I usually start out my posts with a story of some kind, tonight--er, this morning, I can't seem to pick out just one from the stressful blur that was this past week. And so, it is at 3:34 AM that I write, with no specific scenario in particular to reference to, only a simple message that I, and unexpected others, have had to make known to myself: You MUST appreciate and love yourself before you'll have any chances at loving and appreciating others as you should.

I know this sounds rehearsed and cliché, but hear me out on this one.

If you try to place your worth and validity in your accomplishments, you'll find none.
If you try to place your worth and validity into others, you'll, again, be disappointed.
And if you try to squeeze your worth and validity into the three fragile sheets of an application, you'll soon find yourself wondering, why did I even try. Why am I  not good enough?

Now, striving for success, meaningful relationships, and recognition where it's deserved isn't evil by any means. It's human nature, and, being a human, I've tried to do all of these things before. However, the motivation behind these pursuits is key.

If you try to drive your vehicle on an empty tank, you'll soon find yourself going absolutely nowhere. And filling up a glass with an empty pitcher just doesn't work. Before you can experience the joy of recognition and genuine care from others, you must first feel these things for yourself, from your own heart. You are your second biggest cheerleader. You've seen your growth, the trials you've been able to endure, the hurdles you never thought you'd clear. These things - these beautiful milestones in life that make living such a priceless journey - these things are what you must see and smile at from time to time.

In this life, you're going to just miss the mark every now and then. You're going to see relationships break and fall apart. You'll see applications turned down, words never acknowledged, attempts miserably fail. And being the perfectionist I am, you can believe me when I say that these moments will break your heart and make you question the point in all of these struggles. You'll block out the people that do love you, the things you have achieved, the marks that you have made.

But you mustn't dwell on these things. You can't lose sight of the great strides you've made, the love that surrounds you that you may not even be aware of. For some, and maybe even for you, simply living is an achievement, and honey, that should be celebrated! Look at where you are. Look at how far you've come.

I've made so many mistakes. I've had to let go of so many things; people and materials alike. But as I look back, I realize that there is so much to be happy about. And now, looking ahead, I can show this same joyful love and appreciation to the people I know and the people I have yet to meet. My gas tank isn't empty, nor is my pitcher.

First, you must embrace yourself. Only then will your embraces to others be genuine.

Don't forget this. Please, don't forget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Summer Kinda Sucked

Because I was afraid. I think I still am afraid, but at least I can recognize that for myself, now. These past four years, I've anchored much of my identity in my activities and skills. This especially ramped up senior year when I practically had to sell myself to colleges and private organizations to make myself an attractive candidate for acceptance and scholarships. Thankfully, this over-exertion -- that I'm disturbingly used to -- paid off, and, by the grace of God, the two jobs I've had this summer have been used primarily to save up for personal expenses since I never want to gruel over buying bus tickets to come back home (My parents are going to forget to scratch Lily's favorite spots. She needs me). However, I think I thrust myself into two jobs the day after graduation (I'm not kidding) because of another reason that I've never wanted to admit. I don't think I really know who I am. If anyone asks me to tell them a little bit about myself,

The Difference Between "Alone" and "Lonely"

Today, after taking three finals and going out for a fun little lunch, I discovered that I may or may not have been left out of a get-together that I would've loved to have been a part of. Sulking for an hour or two, I came to a realization. No, this isn't  a huge epiphany to be written in the stars. It's just important, especially to your self worth: Sometimes, you're going to be alone. People are going to host events that you aren't invited to. People are going to call up a friend to go to a movie - and that person may not be you. You are going to be alone from time to time . And that's okay. Who would we be if we spent every waking moment of our lives attached to the hip of another person? The key to accepting this is knowing that in your alone...ness, you don't have to be lonely. You don't have to sit in despair, wishing for your phone to buzz with the chance that someone might be on the other side, wanting to talk to you. Think of all the t

The Rewards of Hard Work

Yesterday, the Freeport High School Speech Team rode on a frigid yellow bus to Byron High School to compete in the Byron Speech Holiday Classic. The second we arrived, the whole team was already buzzing, filling out their critique sheets, scanning their schematics, and rushing from one end of the school to the other, finding their rooms and preparing to perform - that was enough to warm us up. Round One came and went. Round Two came and went. And among freshly baked potatoes and yummy bagel sandwiches, we all waited anxiously for finals to be posted, the pent up energy keeping us laughing and merry. Finally, the moment came. A man announced that all of us should make our way to the gym, for finals would be posted on a screen once we'd arrived. Members of my team and the teams all around us gathered up their pens, papers, and books (if they were entered in a book event), ready to write down room numbers and go off to their respective rooms, already prepared. But...I didn't.