Skip to main content

My Mission

"Thank you for your patience, Katelynn."

The dental nurse smiled at me as she finished her procedure, removing the swabs from my mouth and unhooking her plethora of tools. For about a half hour, I'd been laying back under a cultured light, orange protective glasses keeping any unwanted specks or rays from my eyes. The procedure itself wasn't painful or anything, but man did my jaw ache from staying open for so long, as tool after tool went in to place some protective sealants on my molars.

I smiled at my nurse and told her it wasn't a problem at all, just glad for the work to be done. You would never think that being able to close your mouth and feel your own spit would be such a luxury! ...gross? Okay, we can move on.

I felt strange, though, walking around corner after corner to exit the place. Patience? The visit itself was pretty routine, not a huge feat of bravery or strength in the slightest. All I had to do was lay down, open up, and let them work their magic. I didn't see much to be thanked for.

I left the office, quickly embraced by the blistering summer heat, ready to head home, do some summer work, and go to the fair later that evening. The days following, I did much of the same: I worked at the pool, finished up some AP coursework, caught up on some reading (yay!), spent time at church... it was all pretty stress free, just a day by day schedule that I've adopted while school is out. Still, especially as a new school year looms in the distance, I'll find myself seized up in a bothersome feeling of idleness.

"This is your last summer as a high school student, Katelynn. Shouldn't you be doing something? In fact, you have to make this school year the best one yet, since it's the last one you'll ever get to experience. Get up, move!"

Soon, I have to temper this voice in my head and remind myself that we're given summer breaks for a reason, and I don't have to be go-go-go all of the time. This reminder isn't always enough, though. While I'm physically not doing much, that often makes me think that in this society, I must not be contributing much. I'm not saving the world or exhausting myself in any sort of fashion, so what good am I to anyone? I'm loving this relaxation, don't get me wrong. but as I see other people going on missions trips (which is so encouraging, keep doing the Lord's work y'all!) and heading off to start brand new adventures in college, I can't help but to feel like a sitting duck.

That's why being thanked for something stunned and admittedly bothered me. Patience, I thought. That's it? That's the best I can do?

It wasn't until days later that God (metaphorically) smacked me upside the head for thinking so selfishly for so long.

"Maybe your mission that day was to be patient for a woman who needed it. Maybe your mission today is to smile more at work spread some joy," He said to me. My eyes closed, I sighed and nodded in agreement.

Duh. #convicted.

Yes, the waiting seasons are hard. To feel like you aren't doing much for society is a sucky feeling...except, you are. Your patience, kindness, listening ear, loving embrace, whatever it may be, can be more impactful to a person who needs it that day than you may think.

Shame on me for blowing off these simple, but important missions as I selfishly looked instead to the 'big stuff,' the 'stuff that really mattered.'

In God's eyes, it all matters. Whether you are overseas building homes and serving the impoverished, or you are in town working at the local fast-food restaurant, what you do will always matter. There is no act of Jesus' love that is too small. How could there be? Small just isn't in His vocabulary.

From now on, I will gladly take up my mission to smile, say hello, whatever it may be. If that is how God decides to move through me that day, then amen! I am honored to take that
call.

Comments

  1. Katelynn I truly believe that God lays on YOUR heart and allows You to experience moments so that YOU may share and we all can learn from that. That you for what you have taught ME in your reflections written down and shared. I am blessed by it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think or how you can relate!

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference Between "Alone" and "Lonely"

Today, after taking three finals and going out for a fun little lunch, I discovered that I may or may not have been left out of a get-together that I would've loved to have been a part of. Sulking for an hour or two, I came to a realization. No, this isn't  a huge epiphany to be written in the stars. It's just important, especially to your self worth: Sometimes, you're going to be alone. People are going to host events that you aren't invited to. People are going to call up a friend to go to a movie - and that person may not be you. You are going to be alone from time to time . And that's okay. Who would we be if we spent every waking moment of our lives attached to the hip of another person? The key to accepting this is knowing that in your alone...ness, you don't have to be lonely. You don't have to sit in despair, wishing for your phone to buzz with the chance that someone might be on the other side, wanting to talk to you. Think of all the t

This Summer Kinda Sucked

Because I was afraid. I think I still am afraid, but at least I can recognize that for myself, now. These past four years, I've anchored much of my identity in my activities and skills. This especially ramped up senior year when I practically had to sell myself to colleges and private organizations to make myself an attractive candidate for acceptance and scholarships. Thankfully, this over-exertion -- that I'm disturbingly used to -- paid off, and, by the grace of God, the two jobs I've had this summer have been used primarily to save up for personal expenses since I never want to gruel over buying bus tickets to come back home (My parents are going to forget to scratch Lily's favorite spots. She needs me). However, I think I thrust myself into two jobs the day after graduation (I'm not kidding) because of another reason that I've never wanted to admit. I don't think I really know who I am. If anyone asks me to tell them a little bit about myself,

Honoring My 'Person'

Towards the beginning of August, the Mack Pack (minus my college bound sister) took a trip up to Buffalo, New York - my father's hometown. The twelve hour excursion made for many laughs and fun times, and we even got to reconnect with a pastor and his awesome family along the way! Once we arrived, we were able to visit my grandmother and the rest of my father's side of the family, and  man was it fun! There's just something about being surrounded by family that makes you feel present and loved. It was great, to experience that while being excluded from my hometown for a while. However, quite honestly, the peak of this trip was the time I spent with my brother. Considering it was our very first road-trip together, I was determined to make it a great one. Plus, in a home with no internet and only basic cable, we knew going in that we'd have to entertain ourselves in order to keep away from pure boredom during the down times. And entertain, we did. Though not in the wa