Skip to main content

The Difference Between "Alone" and "Lonely"


Today, after taking three finals and going out for a fun little lunch, I discovered that I may or may not have been left out of a get-together that I would've loved to have been a part of. Sulking for an hour or two, I came to a realization. No, this isn't  a huge epiphany to be written in the stars. It's just important, especially to your self worth: Sometimes, you're going to be alone. People are going to host events that you aren't invited to. People are going to call up a friend to go to a movie - and that person may not be you. You are going to be alone from time to time. And that's okay. Who would we be if we spent every waking moment of our lives attached to the hip of another person?
The key to accepting this is knowing that in your alone...ness, you don't have to be lonely. You don't have to sit in despair, wishing for your phone to buzz with the chance that someone might be on the other side, wanting to talk to you. Think of all the things you can do by yourself that you can't do so well with another person - finish that campaign on Black Ops 3, binge watch Grey's Anatomy on Netflix, redecorate your room, study for all I care! Whatever you do, grasp onto the fact that you will always be stuck with yourself. And I mean that in the best way possible. You know everything that makes you laugh, cry, jump with surprise. Engage in those things. Engage into what you love.

And above all, love yourself, knowing that Jesus loves you infinitely more.

Sure, you may be alone. But lonely? No. Not a chance. Time spent with you, and only you, is time in which you can discover, create, and harness the most beautiful aspects about yourself.

Comments

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think or how you can relate!

Popular posts from this blog

From Trudging to Skipping

You know how toddlers stumble around on their chunky legs and sway when they walk, as if gravity is just begging them to tumble down? Well, I can find no better way than that to describe how the past several months of my life have been going. 1) Because I feel as if I've been plodding around aimlessly for quite some time. And 2) because I've gained twenty pounds since freshman year. Wanna talk about chunky legs? They're cute on toddlers, but that's usually where 'aww' factor ends. This isn't to say that life has handed me nothing but hardships in this dry period of time. I am very blessed with the multitude of opportunities I've been given, and the frankly comfortable lifestyle I am able to live. But more and more, the high moments just haven't been satisfying, and the low moments have been drawn out to last for days...even weeks. I find myself trudging through life. Maybe it's because I'm twenty pounds heavier. Maybe it's because I d...

My Mission

"Thank you for your patience, Katelynn." The dental nurse smiled at me as she finished her procedure, removing the swabs from my mouth and unhooking her plethora of tools. For about a half hour, I'd been laying back under a cultured light, orange protective glasses keeping any unwanted specks or rays from my eyes. The procedure itself wasn't painful or anything, but man did my jaw ache from staying open for so long, as tool after tool went in to place some protective sealants on my molars. I smiled at my nurse and told her it wasn't a problem at all, just glad for the work to be done. You would never think that being able to close your mouth and feel your own spit would be such a luxury! ...gross? Okay, we can move on. I felt strange, though, walking around corner after corner to exit the place. Patience? The visit itself was pretty routine, not a huge feat of bravery or strength in the slightest. All I had to do was lay down, open up, and let them work the...

Warm Weather Brings a Town to Life

A restless Lily trots after my heels. Surely she senses the warm air outside, the teasing breeze resembling summer, the breeze our small town can sense just as well. I give in and take her on a lead, guiding us to the sidewalks. The sun hides behind a gentle mass of clouds, blue, casting everything in a comforting azure hue. Her ears flop with each buoyant step. For a dog of seven years, her energy has aged little. As she pants and searches and sniffs, nose pressed into the budding grass, I watched. I listened. I observed. Warm weather brings a town to life. A man mounted on a motorcycle roared down the street. In his wake were a pair of boys, one black and one white. The boys were mounted on little bikes, young bony knees pedaling faster and faster, as one shouted, "Come on!" and the other, "This is so cool!" They followed the motorcycle man, watching him fill his tires, illuminated by violet lights, at the gas station. The boys rest...