Skip to main content

From Trudging to Skipping

You know how toddlers stumble around on their chunky legs and sway when they walk, as if gravity is just begging them to tumble down?
Well, I can find no better way than that to describe how the past several months of my life have been going. 1) Because I feel as if I've been plodding around aimlessly for quite some time. And 2) because I've gained twenty pounds since freshman year. Wanna talk about chunky legs? They're cute on toddlers, but that's usually where 'aww' factor ends.
This isn't to say that life has handed me nothing but hardships in this dry period of time. I am very blessed with the multitude of opportunities I've been given, and the frankly comfortable lifestyle I am able to live. But more and more, the high moments just haven't been satisfying, and the low moments have been drawn out to last for days...even weeks.
I find myself trudging through life. Maybe it's because I'm twenty pounds heavier. Maybe it's because I didn't accomplish some goals that I wish I would have. Maybe it's because I miss my sister and her constant physical presence in my life. Maybe it's because I've been wearing myself down with schoolwork, activities, and other commitments.
Yes, maybe it's all of these things rolled up into one big ball of.. ugh. But I think I've come to the realization that it's something else entirely.
I haven't been holding onto a certain special Someone's hand lately. I become discouraged, so I don't bother praying. I spend late nights rehearsing or doing homework, so I don't make the time to read His Word.
I'm trying to shoulder this life all on my own, when my back was never meant to carry all of that weight.
For the past week, though, I made a decision: to prioritize at least fifteen minutes at the start of my day to reach out. I was admittedly skeptical and  afraid of it at first. What if I didn't hear anything from God? What if I read a few verses and I still felt just as unmotivated as when I started?
However, I am happy to report that for the first time in months, I went to bed on Saturday night reflective about what a fruitful week I had. And I was excited, more than I had been in months, to go to church that next day to worship and learn.

See, when I was trudging along on my own, every crack in the path brought me to a halt. My feet dragged, and it took so much of me to just take that next step, even if it was a small one. I felt extremely slow, merely watching everyone else around me, stuck in a rut of comparison.

But the second I took God's hand again, my entire perspective changed.

Instead of trudging, I was skipping. The things that has once so easily bothered me were so easy to leap over. I was looking straight forward onto my path, delighted in what I could see ahead. He twirled me and lifted me and gave me wings I never knew that I had. Suddenly, walking through life became fun. I was able to lift my eyes and see the beauty in the journey again.

Even if I still have such along way to go. Even if I am hugely imperfect. And yes, even if I am twenty pounds heavier. This is the lightest I've felt in a long time. And I don't plan on letting go anytime soon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference Between "Alone" and "Lonely"

Today, after taking three finals and going out for a fun little lunch, I discovered that I may or may not have been left out of a get-together that I would've loved to have been a part of. Sulking for an hour or two, I came to a realization. No, this isn't  a huge epiphany to be written in the stars. It's just important, especially to your self worth: Sometimes, you're going to be alone. People are going to host events that you aren't invited to. People are going to call up a friend to go to a movie - and that person may not be you. You are going to be alone from time to time . And that's okay. Who would we be if we spent every waking moment of our lives attached to the hip of another person? The key to accepting this is knowing that in your alone...ness, you don't have to be lonely. You don't have to sit in despair, wishing for your phone to buzz with the chance that someone might be on the other side, wanting to talk to you. Think of all the t

This Summer Kinda Sucked

Because I was afraid. I think I still am afraid, but at least I can recognize that for myself, now. These past four years, I've anchored much of my identity in my activities and skills. This especially ramped up senior year when I practically had to sell myself to colleges and private organizations to make myself an attractive candidate for acceptance and scholarships. Thankfully, this over-exertion -- that I'm disturbingly used to -- paid off, and, by the grace of God, the two jobs I've had this summer have been used primarily to save up for personal expenses since I never want to gruel over buying bus tickets to come back home (My parents are going to forget to scratch Lily's favorite spots. She needs me). However, I think I thrust myself into two jobs the day after graduation (I'm not kidding) because of another reason that I've never wanted to admit. I don't think I really know who I am. If anyone asks me to tell them a little bit about myself,

Honoring My 'Person'

Towards the beginning of August, the Mack Pack (minus my college bound sister) took a trip up to Buffalo, New York - my father's hometown. The twelve hour excursion made for many laughs and fun times, and we even got to reconnect with a pastor and his awesome family along the way! Once we arrived, we were able to visit my grandmother and the rest of my father's side of the family, and  man was it fun! There's just something about being surrounded by family that makes you feel present and loved. It was great, to experience that while being excluded from my hometown for a while. However, quite honestly, the peak of this trip was the time I spent with my brother. Considering it was our very first road-trip together, I was determined to make it a great one. Plus, in a home with no internet and only basic cable, we knew going in that we'd have to entertain ourselves in order to keep away from pure boredom during the down times. And entertain, we did. Though not in the wa