Skip to main content

Warm Weather Brings a Town to Life

A restless Lily trots after my heels.
Surely she senses the warm air outside,
the teasing breeze resembling summer,
the breeze our small town can sense just as well.

I give in and take her on a lead,
guiding us to the sidewalks.
The sun hides behind a gentle mass of clouds,
blue, casting everything in a comforting azure hue.

Her ears flop with each buoyant step.
For a dog of seven years, her energy has aged little.
As she pants and searches and sniffs, nose pressed into the budding grass,
I watched. I listened. I observed.

Warm weather brings a town to life.

A man mounted on a motorcycle roared down the street.
In his wake were a pair of boys,
one black and one white.

The boys were mounted on little bikes,
young bony knees pedaling faster and faster, as one shouted,
"Come on!" and the other,
"This is so cool!"

They followed the motorcycle man,
watching him fill his tires,
illuminated by violet lights,
at the gas station.

The boys rested their own little bikes,
watching the man with curious, swiveling heads.
Eyes filled with longing,
they watched as the motorcycle roared away once again.

One day, they thought.
Our bikes will grow to be just like his.

Along the busy street beyond, a little sports car puttered
A rusty old truck whipped out of a driveway.
Couples rested upon their steps and porches,
watching the town just as I was.

Lily rounded a corner to see a pair,
boy and girl.
A mitt in hand,
the boy threw a chalk white baseball to his little sister.

Children, being the fascination of any dog,
excited Lily to wiggle and eagerly pant her way over to them.

Lily took it upon herself to greet them, much to the little girl's delight.
She giggled, nose red, asking for Lily's name.
Lily gave her a wet kiss, as if saying,
"You don't need to know my name; just love me!"

The boy, seeing that his sister was enjoying himself,
allowed her to indulge in Lily for a little while longer.
He excused her silly stories about their own dog,
and made sure that she said "Thank you for letting me pet your doggy!"

We rounded a corner again.
Back home we went, hearing the sound of sirens behind us.
A homeless man with a garbage bag of clinking items in front of us.
A smoking man to the left of us.

It was a sobering reminder:
While warm weather was pleasant,
the world's woes do not just stop for a summer breeze.

Lily's walk ended,
as did my look-around of our small town.
Under the gentle glow of our house's lights,
I peered out at the evening world beyond.

Another family, walking their little dog.
Perhaps they'd have even more sights to see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference Between "Alone" and "Lonely"

Today, after taking three finals and going out for a fun little lunch, I discovered that I may or may not have been left out of a get-together that I would've loved to have been a part of. Sulking for an hour or two, I came to a realization. No, this isn't  a huge epiphany to be written in the stars. It's just important, especially to your self worth: Sometimes, you're going to be alone. People are going to host events that you aren't invited to. People are going to call up a friend to go to a movie - and that person may not be you. You are going to be alone from time to time . And that's okay. Who would we be if we spent every waking moment of our lives attached to the hip of another person? The key to accepting this is knowing that in your alone...ness, you don't have to be lonely. You don't have to sit in despair, wishing for your phone to buzz with the chance that someone might be on the other side, wanting to talk to you. Think of all the t

This Summer Kinda Sucked

Because I was afraid. I think I still am afraid, but at least I can recognize that for myself, now. These past four years, I've anchored much of my identity in my activities and skills. This especially ramped up senior year when I practically had to sell myself to colleges and private organizations to make myself an attractive candidate for acceptance and scholarships. Thankfully, this over-exertion -- that I'm disturbingly used to -- paid off, and, by the grace of God, the two jobs I've had this summer have been used primarily to save up for personal expenses since I never want to gruel over buying bus tickets to come back home (My parents are going to forget to scratch Lily's favorite spots. She needs me). However, I think I thrust myself into two jobs the day after graduation (I'm not kidding) because of another reason that I've never wanted to admit. I don't think I really know who I am. If anyone asks me to tell them a little bit about myself,

Honoring My 'Person'

Towards the beginning of August, the Mack Pack (minus my college bound sister) took a trip up to Buffalo, New York - my father's hometown. The twelve hour excursion made for many laughs and fun times, and we even got to reconnect with a pastor and his awesome family along the way! Once we arrived, we were able to visit my grandmother and the rest of my father's side of the family, and  man was it fun! There's just something about being surrounded by family that makes you feel present and loved. It was great, to experience that while being excluded from my hometown for a while. However, quite honestly, the peak of this trip was the time I spent with my brother. Considering it was our very first road-trip together, I was determined to make it a great one. Plus, in a home with no internet and only basic cable, we knew going in that we'd have to entertain ourselves in order to keep away from pure boredom during the down times. And entertain, we did. Though not in the wa